Skip to main content

Notes on Matthew 14, The Feeding of the 5000 Plus

I am teaching this passage tomorrow. Here are my speaking notes. 

Four passages in the Gospels record this event. Otherwise, there are only a few that are repeated by all four, and those mostly around the crucifixion. The Last Supper is one, and it predicts this event.

Matthew 14:13–21, Mark 6:30–44, Luke 9:12–17, and John 6:1–14. [1]

Matthew 14:13-21. The four steps, took bread, blessed, broke, and distributed. Pointing toward the final feast (Rev. 19:6-9)

Matthew 26:26

Luke 24: 30; 22:19; 9:1

“They knew him in the breaking of the bread.”

The commonalities:

Crowd of people followed him on foot while he took a boat to the location. It happened after miracles of healing.

Took place later in the day.

The disciples basically wanted to send them away. Jesus did not. They complain or show their lack of faith somehow.

The basics of two fish and five loaves of bread.

That there were more than 5000 (plus women and children)

The disciples distributed it ( in an orderly way). Jesus was in charge. “Sit down in companies of 50”

Twelve basketsful. (where did the baskets come from?)

Differences:

Followed by walking on water (Matthew, Mark, and John)

Luke mentions more specific details.

Mark and Luke place it after the disciples had returned from their mission.

Matthew puts the event in the context of John the Baptist just being executed and Jesus needing time alone. Herod had a banquet of selfishness, death, and sordid behavior for rich people; Jesus fed the poor with compassion.

John includes a long section of difficult teaching and discussion that causes some “followers” to walk away.

Why did all four gospel writers include this account?

One reason is that there were Old Testament accounts that are similar. Manna; 2 King 4:42-44.

Jesus has power of natural processes. Also to reveal truths about him and some who followed him.

To reveal him as true Messiah and King versus human kings.

Jesus had many reasons for doing this miracle: for the people, for his disciples. What do you personally glean from these accounts?

I find it interesting that Jesus say, “you give them something to eat.” How do you see that? They did have something to offer, as we do. He didn’t magically create food. We have a responsibility to use what we have. We have a responsibility to see the needs around us. (Pantry). We have a responsibility to expect Christ to do the work we cannot.

This event is about the compassion of Jesus, the He is more than enough and satisfies, and we need the eyes of faith. This was a new thing, though, so I wouldn’t be that hard on the disciples! In John the connection that Jesus brought physical food but his body being crucified will bring us spiritual satisfaction (like Woman at the well). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why to Read Fiction, Idea #27: Empathy, anyone?

The Idea #27 is tongue in cheek.  But these are some ideas about writing fiction, which I have done in ten novels (and counting), a dozen short stories, and two produced plays (I know, not exactly the same).  Background: In 2015 a colleague and I wrote an open educational resource public speaking textbook for a grant provided by our University System. We didn't realize at the time that it would go viral and be used all over the world within a few years. There are two reasons for that: it is good (as good as anything on the market) and it is free, although only in digital form. Check out www.exploringpublicspeaking.com for it. We also didn't know at the time that my co-author would die at 39 in 2016. I still miss him. Back to the point, I receive requests for the test banks every other day, and this morning I received one from Pennsylvania. The writer had a signature line: "Reading fiction is important. It is a vital means of imagining a life other than our own, which in t...

Books I Have Read Lately

 Retirement means more time to read.  One Blood , by Denene Millner. This book and author won the Townsend Prize for Fiction 2025 and therefore beat me as one of the other nine finalists. She deserved it for her dramatic and exotic style; mine feels pale in comparison. I have to admit, I have timed out on it when I got to the third main character's story. It starts with a Black midwife in 1950s/1960s Virginia, who is imprisoned for not lying on a birth certificate about a "white" baby's racial identity. The baby is clearly part Black, meaning either the family had Black ancestors or the mother had a lover (I'm not entirely sure about that). The midwife's daughter is brutally murdered by her lover and in this chaos, the granddaughter is spirited away to New York in a wooden box. (Why I am not sure--New York makes sense, because a relation lives there, but why she couldn't just be put on a train, I'm not sure. I imagine Black people could ride trains in ...

Poem of the Day

 Vision Driving on a busy highway designed to relieve traffic on a busier one, My glimpse lands on a mound of color in the turning lane ahead. I see a human body. That is not what it is, but what my mind perceives. The envisioned body is wearing a bathing suit, and it is female. It is deceased of course; half of it is legs with pale skin, half is a mix of red and blue and yellow. My heart tightens; my eyes, which need to look elsewhere, are captured. I go under a traffic light and the pile transforms into a towel twisted into some elongated shape, either thrown and dropped from a vehicle. Why did I see a corpse in the way of oncoming cars? Are my eyes failing me? My corrective lenses? My imagination? My expectations? Is it too much true crime television? Who knows? And what if I had seen a human form that metamorphosed into a towel? --- This is more about a concern of aging, not to show my poetic skill. I write one or two (or fewer) poems a year. ...